- To help families with the cost of living, the Conservative Government is offering 1 million half-price train tickets in the nation’s biggest-ever rail sale.
- The first-of-its-kind Great British Rail Sale will save families up to 50 per cent on ticket prices on trips across the country, including vital commuter services such as Leeds to York.
- More than 1 million cut-price tickets will help connect friends and families, boost UK tourism, and encourage green travel.
Eddisbury MP, Edward Timpson CBE, has welcomed the reduction in cost of more than 1 million train tickets across the UK by up to 50 per cent, helping families across his constituency with the cost of living.
Through the Great British Rail Sale, the Conservative Government is offering over 1 million rail tickets for passengers at 50 per cent off.
The Great British Rail Sale is the first nationwide rail sale in history. Tickets went on sale on 19 April 2022 for journeys between 25 April and 27 May 2022—offering passengers significant savings on trips nationwide.
The discount will be available on selected ‘advance’ tickets from participating train companies, or off-peak tickets as an alternative on some routes.
Customers can find out more online by visiting greatbritishrailsale.nationalrail.co.uk.
This sale includes offers such as:
- York to Leeds cut from £5.60 to £2.80;
- London to Edinburgh cut from £44.00 to £22.00;
- London to Cardiff cut from £47.00 to £25.00;
- Wolverhampton to Liverpool cut from £10.50 to £5.25; and
- Manchester to Newcastle upon Tyne cut from £20.60 to £10.30.
The scheme also allows Railcard customers to receive an extra third off the already-reduced price of a Great British Rail Sale ticket, ensuring more passengers will benefit, and that under-30s, over-60s, and disabled passengers will be able to travel for even less!
Passengers who need extra support to find or buy discounted tickets will be able to contact their preferred retailer direct and purchase their tickets over the phone, or at their nearest staffed ticket office.
The Conservative Government is listening to people’s concerns about rising living costs. It is taking action worth more than £22 billion in 2022-23 alone to ensure people keep more of their money—including support with the cost of energy bills.
Offering half-price rail tickets is one of the ways the Government is further supporting families with the cost of living.
Commenting, Eddisbury MP, Edward Timpson CBE said:
“Pressures caused by global events are putting a strain on household finances across the country—so this Conservative Government is taking action to help families with their day-to-day expenses.
“It is excellent news that the Government has launched this first-of-its-kind Great British Rail Sale to help families save up to 50 per cent on ticket prices for train journeys.
“This is a valuable opportunity for rail users in Eddisbury, and helps to give more people a chance to catch up with friends and family, or take a well-deserved break!”
Commenting, Transport Secretary, the Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP said:
“For the first time, operators across the rail industry are coming together to help passengers facing rising costs of living by offering up to 50 per cent off more than 1 million tickets for journeys across Britain.
“There’s no better time to visit friends, family or just explore our great country—so book your tickets today!”